Monday 1 September 2008

Felted owls and a Westie brooch

Well I haven't written anything recently but that doesn't mean i haven't been busy making things. I have been having a go at needle felting with some cute results. I touched on felting when I was in Uni and my sister said she really wanted to have a go so I thought I would share my knowledge and have a felting day. I now remember why I didn't carry on with the felting. It is hard work and quite time consuming with the needle felting. I did enjoy it but do think you need a fair bit of practice before I would be happy with what I produce. Here's the fruits of my labour, my little owl which kind of looks like a penguin as well.

It was also my mum’s birthday recently and she recently got herself a Westie called Pepper. I saw these cute buttons while I was on holiday in West Wales so I thought I would use the to make her a brooch. I thought I would try and give the brooch a cameo style look so cut the base felt into rounded scalloped edges and then layered some red over the top with ruffled blue and green tartan ribbon underneath and stitched it all together. I’ve been doing a lot of embroidered writing recently and thought I would add the words walkies onto the brooch so it kind of looked like park of the dogs lead. It was quite small but you can still read t. My mum was very happy with it and it’s got me to make a few more brooches which I play around with some new embroidery techniques. 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...