I'm very happy with the results. It's been a while since I've done any cross stitch but I really enjoyed it. Successful cross stitch I think is all down to your ability to count and a little bit of map reading thrown in. I used approximately 16 count Aida (it was a bit I had left over) with one skillet of black floss split into three pieces of cotton at a time as the Aida weave was very fine. The finished deer's head measures 16cm.
I started my design work using an old envelope which had a very useful grid pattern on the inside. However it was very small (can you spot my mistakes!) so I made a digital copy of the pattern which you can download and use for free here. Please note this pattern is for personal use only.
Here I have already hung up my cross stitch in my hallway. Now I have to decide what to have a go at designing next.